Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Resolution Declaration, Oxymoronic Supposition

December 2010 suffered me witness to the usual floodgate opening of all-things-“New Year”, though not so much as when my former “age of Hilton” Facebook acc. was active... hard not to notice though, that even with a select list of some 100 friends, my BB news feed was peppered with both well wishes and acerbic jibes welcoming 2011. As it is every year -_- ~ I will not pretend that I didn’t find my friends’ ventilations a leetle amusing (if a tad annoying) – nor will I deny that I didn’t jump on board with a perfunctory “HAPPY NEW YEAR Tom, Dick, Harry Potter etc etc” in reply to direct well wishes.

Jackassery at it's rockstar typical *sigh*

Enter New Year's Eve, the last day of the year, and a whole new flood of status updates re. New Year's resolution appears. Again, besides the usual candy-cane-stripey-pink-bubble-gummy wishes of a better year ahead, were the sardonic variations of “just get your shit together and screw resolutions”, besides the ever-original “my new year’s resolution is to NOT have resolutions” (here’s where I raise my eyebrow).

Tsktsk. Now. I don’t make public resolutions. But I don’t diss those who do either. I believe that everyone is entitled to hope. Because aren’t resolutions just that? Hope? How he or she does it is subject to the individual’s preference (whether I approve or not doesn’t matter – just don’t get all in my face for my predilections).

Check one. Here we go:


Somewhere in Kuching, Sarawak (East of Malaysia) on 31 December 2010 I lay oblivious to the world shortly before midnight (non-alcohol induced stupor, thank you very much). Somewhere else in Malaysia a friend sat pissed drunk in his own living room, and I’m pretty sure the world was peppered with friends and family members with their heads down toilet bowls – still others stared blankly into space whilst nursing cups of coffee (depending on which time zone they were at). Still more, like me, snoozed peacefully in all ignorance that 2010 had come to pass.


So why did I miss the opportunity to make one of the biggest commitments of the year? Why did I stop partying? When did the whole act of celebration become futile? Futile, really? Well, not really.


Check two. I stand somewhere in between “HAPPY NEW YEAR ~ WOOHOO!!!” and “New year, same old shit”. I gave up on voluntary New Year’s partying somewhere before my 24th year. I probably gave up on resolutions the same year. No deep, dark, meaningful story to tell here – it’s just the way it came to be. Drinking lots of alcohol? Check that. But only when I had a NYE party to host – yes, being a PR personnel for large hotels did require me to beam radiantly, smack on lots of make-up and don ridiculously high heels whilst making sure all the invited press/ media friends got a goodie bag, lots of alcohol, and reminders that the news release covering our happening count-down must, at all cost (including hangovers), come out the next day. Not so glamorous now eh? Don’t get me wrong – it was almost always fun.. just “but”... So on the years where my past employees didn’t have a NYE party, I’d be so happy to ‘get off’ that it became something like bliss just to vege out at home. No longer being in the hospitality industry, this is exactly what I had the opportunity to do, and did, this NYE - yay! 
This is proli' how I looked at 21 *blush*

I never consciously made or stopped making New Year resolutions. My memories of NY resolutions are somewhat hazy: images of an imbecilic group of uni friends (myself included) waving mugs of beer and slurring “WE WILL GRADUATE WITH HONOURS!! WE WILL QUIT SMOKING!!” comes to mind, but private dreams and wishes (if any) were never shared in public (thank goodness). While with the hospitality industry, entertaining demanding media people could be very draining and by the time I got home, it was all I could do to crawl to bed, not out of intoxication, but out of pure exhaustion, leaving little space for resolutions.


The cynics do speak with sense (if not with heart) – why should 1 January be any different to any other? We should do things because we have / need / want to, and not because of an arbitrary date. True? Maybe. Personally I think that to decide something of consequence on the first day of a new year is somewhat romantic – and if nothing else, it at least provides an easy timeline to judge / measure yourself by. So what if you flounder and flail by 3rd February? Would you have done better if you had started on 16th July? Who’s to say? But to the cynics I say – any other date would also be an arbitrary date, yes? Invert your philosophy good men and women. If 1 January is but just a date, then so are all the other dates.

If you think this entree is somewhat of an oxymoron then you think right :) I believe in both good sense and good feeling. A juxtaposition of all that is good can’t be so bad, can it? So live and let live. If you don’t believe in resolutions then nobody’s stopping you from not making them; nor should you be so free as to slander those who do. Vice versa.


You could say that resolutions are full of unachievable, inappropriate goals. To you. But to the dream maker, let him dream. If all it hurts is your ears / eyes then stop listening and stop reading. You could say it be human arrogance rearing its handsome, confident head on NY Day that makes one certain they can stop smoking, lose weight, change jobs etc. Or you could say that one is making a NY wish for a better change, hoping that he/ she will be strong enough to do the necessary actions to achieve the ultimate goal. Hope being the operative word...

I have no resolutions. And if I did, why would I put it up on a blog? ;) Blessed & happy New Year 2011 to all and please don’t even think of getting me started on Christmas! *lovehugslove*


hehehe *watchaa

4 comments:

  1. my new year resolution.. 1) money coming down from the sky every day.. 2) coffee kow-kow flooding my house every day.. 3) leng lui queuing up from JB till kubang kerian in front of my hosue every day.. huhu.. oopppss.. rainy day easily get dreaming :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Resolutions or wishful thinking, Simon? Lol.. it's raining here too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny as hell as always Girlie!!! Have a great 2011!

    ReplyDelete